Friday 6 July 2012

Health | Dairy Vs. Soya?!

I have been A vegetarian for around 10 years now and even though my love of chocolate and cakes runs very deep I have been tempted to try a more vegan - or dairy free-  diet! With no meat it is very important for me to get lots of protein into my diet (especially if i'm working out and trying to tone up) My usual source of protein comes from meat substitutes (Quorn being my 'meat free' substitute of choice) as well as beans, cheese and milk.



I have recently been researching more and more into the benefits of cutting out Dairy in your diet;
* Clearer skin
* Less skin irritations
* More Energy
*Alternatives are often lower in Calories and sweeter

 As well as some claimed longterm benefits such as reducing the risk of certain cancers!!! 

There are several arguments for and against so I thought I might give it a go for a month and see for myself if all the benefits pay off!!

My Main Dairy free food swap is from:

 Flora light (margarine spread) to Pure Dairy Free Soya Spread

(source)
So far I am loving this spread, I think i may even prefer it to my old family favourite Flora! For butter lovers this would be a much harder switch but i find it slightly sweeter and creamer than my Flora light spread so it feel quite indulgent!!

And Semi-Skimmed milk to Tesco's Organic Unsweetened Soya Milk

(Source)
This milk seems to go off very quickly once opened, much faster than regular milk! I Don't notice much difference when added to my porridge in the morning but the taste isn't quite to my liking so much yet that I would enjoy tucking into a glass of it, although it is really yummy in....

Starbucks Vanilla Soy latte!!
I think I have found a new firm favourite!!



I'll keep you guys updated to see if i notice any benefits!
Thats all for now
Sxx

No comments:

Post a Comment