Thursday 21 January 2016

A New Year | Part 2.....My 1st Marathon

The second major change this year that I am facing is that I am running my first ever marathon. Having only ever run 5k and 10k before this is fast becoming one of the most physically enduring challenges that I have ever faced. The new year has seen a massive increase in distance in my weekly endurance runs. So far I am two weeks into my training schedule that has consisted of two shorter, strength building runs, and then one endurance run at the weekend. Thought the week I am also trying to incorporate some cross training at the gym, but this is has by far been the hardest as I am so used to just cardio work.

Week One
My first endurance run took me along the banks of the not so sunny Clyde in Glasgow. This was a 10k route (6.2 miles) that I had done before when I used to be quite into my running. It felt good to get back out and keep a steady pace, but unfortunately I am quite a bit slower than I used to be. The run took me just under an hour, where I was usually looking at running 10k in around 55-56 mins.

What I took from this first run is that is is important to stretch and warm up/down as my legs were a little stiff after this one.

I also have a good idea that my marathon pace is around 6min / kl. Even if this is slow it gives me something to work on.

Right now My aim is to finish he marathon without injury, and if that also happens to be slow, then so be it!
Week Two
My Second endurance run found me back home in the North East of Scotland as I was visiting my family for the weekend. With bad flooding the previous week, and freezing temperatures I was dreading this run, and not only because it would be the longest distance I have ever run in my life at 13k (8 mies).

I am very blessed to have a Fyvie Loch only a few minutes drive from my family home, so I reluctantly laced up my runners and headed out. around 0.3k into my run I has my first accident. I slipped and fell just coming into a wooded area. with a cut hand and skinned knees I considered getting my phone out and calling for someone to pick me up... but I knew if I had any hope of ever running 26miles... then I could run through this, and I am very glad I did.

Within a 10mins or so the sun came out and the Loch was stunning...even after several laps the ice cold lake and trees were so refreshing compared to running in Glasgow that I enjoyed every minute.

The run was also around the 6min/ kl mark and apart from the last 2 kilometres, i felt strong and steady through most of the run.





As my training journey continues I hope to keep you all update along the way! Also since I am a first time long distance runner, any tips & trips, or good blog or websites that anyone could recommend would be amazing. 

Comment & Subscribe
Sarah 

No comments:

Post a Comment