Tuesday 19 January 2016

A New Year | Part 1.....Going Vegan

Happy New Year!!

Are we still allowed to say that? I was holding off writing this post until well into January because this post is not about a new years resolution but a lifestyle change that I have been pre-empting for the past few months, and one I plan to stick to for the rest of my life and not just the year ahead, and that is making the Jump from Vegetarian to Vegan.

I started my meat free journey when I was 12 years old when on leaving primary school I made the concise decision that I no longer wanted to eat meat. My youthful decision was down to the basic concept that I didn't understand why as humans we would choose to slaughter and eat animals when we didn't need to. As I grew older, and throughout often having to defend my life style choices in many an argument, I slowly educated myself on farming conditions overseas, the effect that eating animals has on the environment and the major health benefits that comes from removing meat from your diet.

As the years passed and I turned 25, I had now spent more of my life as a vegetarian than I had a meat eater and it was at this point I began making a concise effort again to re-educate myself on matters of the environment, animal welfare and my health. It was also at this point that I came across the documentary 'Cowspiricy', when I realised that virtually all my reasons for being Vegetarian bleed through into Veganism. I discussed the ideas with closes friends and family, and the most I discussed it, the more I knew that if I wanted to live my most ethical life, I had to give up all animal products. Over the next month or two I started to cut down on the animal products I was consuming. I decided that the New Year seemed like the perfect point to make the change for good.




Since then I have been on a food adventure... sampling some great vegan alternatives to various dairy products, trying out Glasgow's impressive (for Scotland) range of Vegan restaurants and emerging myself in vegan online culture. 




I hope now that I can use this space to share this part of my life with vegan food hauls, recipes and vegan beauty. I would also like to say that I am very new at this so any help and advise would be greatly appreciated as I tackle this new ethical lifestyle. 

Hears to a Happy and Healthy 2016
Sarah xXx

No comments:

Post a Comment